After going back home I had horrible cravings for Korean dumplings (만두),
Seafood scallion pancake (해물파전) or simple scallion pancake, Dakgalbi ( 닭갈비) which is a spicy, super fiery chicken cooked with rice cake and cabbage (to die for), Korean Barbecue which is heaven in a bite and for today’s recipe am making Jjim Dalk, which is a slowly braised chicken dish cooked in a dark caramelized soy sauce with lots of sweet and soft veggies, served with no other than white rice that is, the broth should be sweet, salty, and spicy.
There was this nice little restaurant in front of the campus where we would go and have Jjim dalk, when I came back home I had to recreate that amazing flavor, I was 80% successful, my Jjim dalk was slightly different but it sure satisfied my cravings, the problem is in Jordan its hard to find authentic Korean ingredients so I try to stick with ingredients that I can find easily, as for Kimchi that’s a future project, but I have to get my hands on some gochugaru (sun dried Korean pepper flakes) (고추가루) and some other ingredients (maybe online shopping!).
So lets start our Korean adventure, what you will need is the following:
- 1 whole Chicken cut into 10 pieces (skin and bone on) (each breast 3 pieces, drum sticks, thighs 2 pieces, and wings, that’s how I ate it in the restaurant and that’s how I like to make it).
- 3 Cups Water
- 1½ oz sweet potato noodles (couldn’t find it!)
- 1 Cup Potato
- 1 Cup Onion
- ½ Cup Carrot
- 1 cucumber (leave some for garnish) (matchsticks)
- 3 Green Onions (leave some for garnish) (matchsticks)
- 4½ Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp rice wine (I couldn’t find rice wine so I used white wine and added 2 tbs of sugar, if you don’t want to use alcohol just add 3 tbs of water)
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1½ Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1½ tsp Sesame Oil
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Pinches Ginger Powder
- Chili powder or red chili flakes to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Brown the chicken in a big pan with vegetable oil (they should still be not cooked through).
- Ingredients from 9- 16 mix in a blender or in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the veggies big chunks and toss with the chicken, add the sauce and 3 cups of water and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are soft.
- Serve with hot sticky rice.
Enjoy with a glass of white wine!!