Last week I was scrolling down my YouTube account and all of a sudden I saw a video about a cooking contest from Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube channel, the contest is that you should film yourself cooking a recipe with rice being part of it upload it to your YouTube channel and send the link to Jamie Oliver’s team, then they will pick 5 finalists and will feature their recipes on the Food Tube channel for people to vote on which recipe they liked best!
I was jumping out of joy and excitement, except I was at office so I was jumping figuratively speaking.
And immediately I started thinking of ideas, but I had several problems, as the video is preferred to be no longer than 4 minutes, and I have no editing skills whatsoever, even if I knew how to edit my old laptop is not cooperative at all, nonetheless that didn’t stop me, so my creative team and I (AKA my mother) started to brainstorm for the perfect recipe.
What’s more exciting is you can enter the contest in more than one recipe, so I chose the Rice Pudding with Rose Water and Mastic as my first entry, in the coming weeks I will film more recipes and send them, who know I might just win or not 🙂
- 1/4 cup of short grain rice (Soaked in water then drained)
- 1/2 liter of full fat milk
- handful of currents
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 small balls of mastic
- splash of rose water
- Chopped almonds
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped Pistachios
- Place your mastic in a plastic bag and lightly crush them.
- Add all of the ingredients in a saucepan, make sure there is room for the milk to boil.
- Cook on a medium heat keep an eye on it, stirring every couple of minutes to avoid the rice from sticking and the milk from burning.
- turn off the heat when the rice is cooked and when you reach the desired consistency for your rice pudding, mine took 15-18 minutes.
- It can be eaten hot, warm, or cold I prefer mine at room temperature, dust with cinnamon and top with almonds, walnuts and pistachios.