So this recipe is one of my all time favorite dishes! My mom invented it while she was on an ALL vegetarian diet a couple of years ago, and ever since we make it at least once every two weeks.
I like my bulgur spicy you can of course cut down on the chilies, but i think the spiciness of the bulgur in this recipe is suitable with the sweet onions, peppers and tomatoes, it creates a perfect balance.
what you will need:
- 2 cups of coarse bulgur
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 3 gloves of garlic
- 2 green chilies
- olive oil
- 1 tsp of bharat
- 1/2 tsp of dried coriander (crushed coriander seeds)
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 3 cups of hot water (in case your tomatoes didn’t release a lot of water).
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a deep cooking pot (saucepan) over medium heat, add the onions (chopped half moons) and cook until translucent and slightly caramelized 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilies until they release their fragrant then add all of the chopped peppers, all the spices and cook until they are semi soft 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes, at this point if your tomatoes didn’t release enough water you can add 2 cups of hot water.
- Rinse your bulgur, and add to the cooking pot, mix well with the vegetables and season with salt, water level should be slightly above the bulgur.
- Cover and cook on high heat, once the bulgur is visible and the water has reduced lower the heat and leave it for 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the bulgur is puffed.
Serve with arugula salad and yogurt.